- Who we are
- Our capabilities
- Work with us
- Community Guardians
- News and views
- Holidays Act Compliance
- Contact us
In October, Citycare Civil started regeneration work on Christchurch’s Avon Loop contract for Ōtākaro. This is the last stretch of work required to complete the new pedestrian and cycle friendly pathway from Fitzgerald Avenue to the Health Precinct. The works border a one kilometre stretch of the Avon river between Willow Street and Fitzgerald Avenue, that has been red-zoned since the earthquakes.
The project involves construction of a shared pedestrian/cycle footpath, a boardwalk, enhanced lighting and a canoe jetty providing easy access to the river.
Over 13,000 native plants and trees will be planted and just over 4000m2 of asphalt will be laid as part of the work. Purple Heart timber cladding is being used for the boardwalk and jetty.
Work on the jetty has involved the relocation of fish with a specialist in-river ecologist undertaking this important exercise. To ensure that there is no leakage of sediment or contaminants into the river during construction, the worksite has been isolated with approved sediment control measures, to protect local flora and fauna. This will be continually monitored by our in-house Environmental Manager.
The team has also had to work around heritage sites along the way. Many of Christchurch city’s first European settlers landed in 1843 at Bricks wharf, a site on the Avon / Ōtākaro River close to Barbadoes Street. The wharf was constructed by John Thacker in 1851 and it was an important site for loading and unloading vessels. While the wharf is no longer standing, there is a stone and brick cairn memorial on the corner of Oxford Terrace and Barbadoes Street which was erected in December 1926 to mark the site of the wharf.
Citycare Civil has up to thirty team members on site with work scheduled for completion early in 2020.
Keep up to date with news from Citycare Group
The 2 in a Ute pilot project to maintain water sensitive stormwater assets has successfully established four mentor-mentee teams working in their local communities across Auckland.